Code of Conduct
Parent Code of Conduct (East Hudson Youth Soccer League)
1. I will never ridicule or yell at my child or another participant for making a mistake or losing a competition.
2. I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child will not be defeated by the outcome of a game.
3. I will respect and show appreciation for the volunteer coaches, who give their time for the benefit of my child.
4. I will make sure that my child arrives for scheduled games and practices at the time designated by the coach.
5. I will understand team objectives and goals as it relates to development.
6. I will encourage open communication (Player-Coach-Parent).
7. I realize that the team or club can be penalized for my misconduct. If required, I and any of my guests must obey a request by an official or a coach to leave the vicinity of the field.
8. I realize any misconduct on my part (or a guest of mine) may result in a hearing and possible disciplinary action that can result in immediate lost of club eligibility for my child and myself.
9. I will not interrupt a coach during a game or practice to resolve troublesome issues. I will discuss these privately and discreetly with the coach and if this is not prudent or satisfactory I will contact the appropriate official in the Club.
10. I will inform the coach of any injury or physical disability that may affect the safety of my child or other children.
11. I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of my club and league.
12. At all times I will support players on the team.
13. I will remember that children learn best by example. I will applaud good plays by my child’s team and their opponents.
14. I will never question the officials’ judgment or honesty.
15. I will support all efforts to eliminate verbal and physical abuse from the game of soccer.
16. I will not give instructions to players – that is the coach’s role.
17. I will help maintain a positive environment.
18. I will make my child feel like a winner by offering praise for competing fairly and doing their best.
19. I will encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility, intimidation, or violence.
Code of Conduct (Poughkeepsie Soccer Club)
1. I understand that youth soccer is a kid’s game and that it is a privilege to stand along the sidelines and watch children play their game. I will not curse, create a public disturbance or threaten officials. I understand that such behavior is not to be tolerated on the sidelines while my child plays soccer.
2. I understand that coaching from the sidelines by a variety of people is not only unacceptable conduct, but it is also counterproductive, since it distracts the players from their decision making on the field and their enjoyment of the game. Cheering and positive encouragement is a natural part of the game of soccer. Negative comments and constant coaching directed at players on the field from either team , substitute players, or coaches will be subject to discipline by the Referee, coach, division director, and or, the club/PSC Board of Directors.
3. I understand that my role on the sidelines is to be a role model of sportsmanship for these kids. I agree to be positive with my comments regardless of the outcome of the game. I agree to remind other parents, coaches, etc. who may get out of hand from time to time, why they are at the game. I understand that I must remain at least three feet outside the sideline during the game.
4. I agree to be tolerant of the official’s calls, whether I agree with them or not. I understand that a large number of the officials are learning as they go. I agree that I will not berate them, curse at them or in any way physically or verbally abuse an official. Should I have a complaint about the Referee I understand that there is a system in place to report the complaint and I will follow those procedures.
5. I understand that at not time during the game will anyone enter the field of play with the express permission of the Referee. All persons on the sideline must be at least three feet back from the sideline to allow the linesman unobstructed access and view of the sideline. I understand that the Referee is not obligated to delay the progress of a game to explain their calls to anyone, including me.
6. I understand that the coaches, parents, substitute players, and spectators from opposing teams will occupy the opposite sides of the playing field and will remain on their respective sidelines during the entire course of each game. At not time during the course of the game will anyone be allowed to stand behind either goal line.
7. I understand that the enjoyment of the kids playing the sport they love is much more important than the outcome of the game. I will encourage my children to play hard, play fair, respect the Referees and other officials, and congratulate their opponent at each and every game.
8. I understand that the Coach is responsible for the behavior of the parents, substitute players and spectators on their sidelines. If the Referees detect unacceptable behavior, they will caution the head coach on that sideline to deal with the individuals involved. Failure to do so may result in discipline of the coach in addition to discipline of the individual involved.
9. I understand that profanity, fighting, spitting, and the consumption of alcohol is prohibited at all PSC club activities.
10. I understand that open flames and tobacco use of any kind is not permitted at the soccer fields.
11. I understand that during soccer activities, no dogs, cats, or other pets or animals are allowed at the Soccer Fields, (even if they are on a leash or in your lap, etc.)
12. I understand that flyers or any other types of advertisements or announcements of any kinds are not allowed to be distributed at the field or in the parking lot without advanced approval by the PSC Board.
13. As a parent, coach, assistant coach, team parent, of my child’s soccer team, I understand that according to PSC, I am a member of their club. As a member I understand that I am responsible for complying with all the rules and regulations in the bylaws and can be held accountable for my actions.
14. I understand that violation of these principles may result in punishment of the individuals by the Board of Directors of our club. Such punishment may include suspension from participation in club activities, including games. All rules and regulations are provided to each coach within the club and will be made available to any parent, player, sibling, or other spectator upon request.
15. I agree that if I act in a way that interferes with game play, which will be decided at the sole discretion of the game officials, that I will be asked to vacate the field are immediately, and will do so quickly and without delay. I may also be subject to filing of criminal charges should my action endanger or threaten the safety of players, spectators or Game Officials. PSC will enforce Zero Tolerance Policy relative to abusive or threatening behavior at any club sponsored event. PSC has the right to suspend anyone violating this Code of Conduct.